Hitchhiking is not the safest mode of transportation but to some it’s the cheapest. Many hitchhikers are either homeless or runaways. If you are going to hitchhike you better do it the right way or you may get yourself in a lot of trouble. WikiHow is a great site that teaches you almost anything. Including hitchhiking.
* you’re less likely to get picked up if you wear too much denim
* shorts on male hitchers are looked down upon in many rural communities in the American South and West
* super short hair,tends to make people assume that you are AWOL from an institutional setting (prison, military,asylum, boarding school, etc), or recently released from any of the preceding.
* wearing sunglasses is not a good idea because it obscures eye contact
* couples tend to wait longer, based on ‘real estate’ issues in passing vehicles, however, as long as you make it clear from the start that you’re in a relationship with the woman, or else the driver might go after her; be protective
* rain will not increase your chances of getting picked up, especially if you’re totally drenched. Snow, however, or a recent snowfall, however, tends to increase odds of getting a ride. People generally don’t mind the occasional snowflake on their upholstery,as it brushes off easily, before it melts, but rain on clothes tends to collect in seat cushions.