Are you already feeling the Christmas spirit creeping up on you? It’s that time of year when holiday melodies start ringing in your ears during shopping trips. Prepare to be enchanted by Stax Records’ mesmerizing compilation of holiday tunes. The Stax Christmas collection is a delightful assortment of 12 timeless Christmas classics, featuring some of the most renowned artists of all time. Listen to Otis Redding’s rendition of “Merry Christmas Baby,” Isaac Hayes’s soulful take on “The Mistletoe and Me,” The Staple Singers’ unique version of “Who Took the Merry Out of Christmas,” and Albert King’s bluesy “Santa Claus Wants Some Lovin'” – just to name a few.
This music compilation includes a recently discovered rendition of the popular tune “Blue Christmas,” sung by Carla Thomas, a Stax recording artist. Despite the fast-approaching holiday season, indulging in these vibrant and soulful tracks from Stax Records is worth it. You’ll undoubtedly be filled with festive cheer.
Carla Thomas’ previously unreleased rendition of “Blue Christmas”
Stax Christmas Tracklist
- Merry Christmas Baby (Alternate Mix) – Otis Redding*
- Who Took The Merry Out Of Christmas – The Staple Singers
- Winter Wonderland (Take 2) – Booker T. & The MG’s
- Blue Christmas – Carla Thomas*
- The Mistletoe And Me – Isaac Hayes
- Santa Claus Wants Some Lovin’ – Albert King
- I’ll Be Your Santa Baby – Rufus Thomas
- Season’s Greetings – Cix Bits
- White Christmas – The Rance Allen Group
- It’s Christmas Time Again (The Christmas Song) – The Temprees
- What Do The Lonely Do At Christmas? – The Emotions
- That Makes Christmas Day – Rufus & Carla Thomas
Stax Records, presently under the ownership of Concord, was founded in 1957 by Jim Stewart in Memphis, Tennessee. What started as a small, family business became an influential record label that contributed to the creation of “The Memphis Sound”. It also launched the careers of iconic musicians such as Isaac Hayes, Otis Redding, Booker T. & The M.G.’s, The Staple Singers, Sam & Dave, Rufus and Carla Thomas, and The Bar-Kays, among others. Their groundbreaking music continues to shape popular culture. With an impressive 167 hit songs in the Top 100 in Pop and 243 hits in the Top 100 in R&B, Stax Records undoubtedly left a significant mark in the music industry.