Many believe that swearing is a replacement for crying. As we get older we substitute crying for swearing, others use both as kids draw attention to themselves. Researchers believe that swearing is a perfect way to release stress and pain. Here are the main reasons kids and adults swear.
- Establish a group identity
- Establish membership in a group and maintain the group’s boundaries
- Express solidarity with other people
- Express trust and intimacy (mostly when women swear in the presence of other women)
- Add humor, emphasis, or “shock value”
- Attempt to camouflage a person’s fear or insecurity